Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, January 13, 2004 :::
 
Where's Those Bastardy Bonds?: or, Inventory Time at Work

We are closed for three days this week for our annual inventory. This consists of getting in teams of two and checking finding aids and card files against what is actually on the shelf. I am on the microfilm room team and paired up with my immediate supervisor. That is good because we laugh at the same stupid shit. All day we took turns either reading from the card catalog (yes, we still have card catalogs there), or checking the microfilm box labels against what was being read off. My day consisted of exchanges like this:

Me: "075.50002.3, Cross-index to Wills, Devisor and Devisee, 1802-1803."

Boss: affirmative grunt

Me: "075.67501.1, Births, Marriages, Deaths, Brands and Flesh Marks, 1691-1822."

Boss: "Yeah."

Me: "Brands and Flesh Marks? Are those on people?"

Boss: "Cows, you idiot."

And so on like that ... by the afternoon we were trying to relate everything Warner Brothers' Cartoons or The Civil War. Monday we completed Onlsow through Person counties.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This ...

I've mentioned here before I like collecting ashtrays that are shaped like states. Not those tacky metal ones, but ashtrays made from pottery or ceramic. I also like tacky ceramic tourist stuff in general. I have an Arizona mug with a cactus for the handle, and Florida leaping-dolphin-thermometer. I also have a Florida ashtray that is shaped like a log with a little statue of an alligator on it, and a similiar Great Smoky Mountains ashtray with a bear statue. Today I received in the mail a recent Ebay purchase. Its an ashtray shaped like Texas, plus it has a statue of an armadillo on it. Like I said, it doesn't get much better than that. I will pay high dollar for a North Carolina ashtray with a possum on it.

Click on this ...

I'm not sure when or why, but this person gave me a link, give BrykMantra some hits on me.


::: posted by tom at 8:21 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger