Stumpage Reports



Monday, January 05, 2004 :::
 
Master of the Space Time Continuum: or, Storming Iwo With the Duke

Two of the things I hate doing the most are my laundry and getting my hair cut. Another pain in the butt on my days off is going to the railroad company and getting my time sheet and expense report signed. Today I managed to combine these tasks. I went to the Laundromat and threw my clothes in the washer and then went to the railroad company. I came back threw my clothes in the dryer, and went next door to get my hair cut. I have blogged before about getting my hair cut at this old-timey place and I went back there today.

The barber and I were talking about hair (surprise surprise) and he mentioned his hair started turning grey when he was 18 in the 1940's. I asked if he was in WWII and he answered in the affirmative. Navy, both Atlantic and Pacific. We agreed dropping the atom bomb on Japan was the best choice. He has a big poster in his shop with a picture of John Wayne (in a coat and tie?) superimposed over an american flag with a picture of some modern army helicopter. The posters says "Defender of our Nation." I'm a big John Wayne fan, but since he was never in the armed forces, I'm not sure about the whole "Defender of our Nation" thing. I said nothing to the man that owned the poster and was holding a pair of scissors inches from my neck.

All of this efficient planning and errand-running has given me a couple hours to fuck off, then go work on the railroad for a couple hours, hopefully have dinner with hippie chick, and have coffee tonight with weird friends. Not a bad day off, and I got to sleep in until 9:30.

Movie Update:

I'm always way behind on movies. Last night I finally watched Pirates of the Caribbean. It was good fun, Johnny Depp did a great job as did the supporting cast. I felt it could of been a little shorter, but I feel that way about most movies these days. It makes me wish someone would do a real pirate movie.

This Just In:

Coming home from above errands, I saw my Great Smoky Mountain National Park ashtray came in the mail. I bought it on Ebay. It is ceramic and has a little statue of a bear on it. I goes very well with my Florida ashtray, which of course has an alligator statue on it.


::: posted by tom at 12:32 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger