Stumpage Reports



Wednesday, January 21, 2004 :::
 
Another Weird Newspaper Story: (I Don't Know How I'll Top This One ... )

HORRIBLE AFFAIR. -- At Columbus, Ohio, last week, a lunatic whose insanity was of a wild type, killed a comrade who roomed with him, cut him up into small pieces, ornamented them with bits of ribbon, and then proceeded to dispose of them to the other occupants of the wards as "Christmas beef." When the terror stricken keeper entered the room, several of the lunatics were eating the remains, and the butcher told him with a leer that the next time he killed he should reserve him a choice cut.

--- North Carolina Standard, April 27, 1859.


Well, I'm Back.

Thats the last line of The Return of the King, the last volume in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I finished it yesterday. I probably could have done a lot more useful things than read those books for the third time, but the hell with it. I think that is a damn fine closing line for an epic fantasy trilogy. Most decent stories and movies, when boiled down to their essence, have a three-word plot: Get Back Home. The Odyssey, King Kong, The Searchers, and The Wizard of Oz to name a few.


::: posted by tom at 10:40 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger