Stumpage Reports



Thursday, December 18, 2003 :::
 
Sometimes NPR Gives Me Gas

I heard part of this story on Wednesday morning on my way to work. The little text feature I linked to does not begin to hint at the adjective-laden, pretentious bullshit that comprised the story. If you're really up for some punishment you can hear an audio link here. Its the story entitled "A Very Live Oak."

There is just a certain rhythm and quality of metaphor that a lot of NPR stories have that makes me gag. There was one place in here they described someone "Eyes bright, blue, clear, she said blah blah .... " That little stringing together of the adjectives after the subject seems to be a trademark of theirs. Wait, eyes isn't the subject there, I guess the speaker is. Was that an adjectival phrase? I don't what it is called, but I know crap when I hear it.

My favorite part was when one of the old folks told the reporter, "Sometimes the tree talks to me." The reporter asked, without missing a beat, "What does the tree say?" I think it would have been funny if the reporter had said, "You know that it is fucking insane to say that a tree talks to you?"



::: posted by tom at 11:28 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger