Stumpage Reports



Monday, December 01, 2003 :::
 
Punk Memories

I mentioned earlier I was buying Rhino Records' anthology No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion. I got it last week, and after a three hour road trip to Charlotte with it in the car, here is a link-laden post of impressions and memories after listening to it:

... they could not have opened the collection with anything but the Ramones' "Blitzkreig Bop" ... worst vocal performance goes to Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex in the song "Oh Bondage Up Yours!" ... I used to have a button that said "Blondie is a group!"... The Runaways song "Cherry Bomb" is just as embarrassing as it was 20+ years ago, and I still can't help liking it ... it was nice to hear The Boomtown Rats again ... The New York Dolls song Personality Crisis has a great scream at the beginning ... the first time I heard the New York Dolls -- sitting with a guy named Glenn and splitting a fifth of Seagram's whiskey, smoking hash, and hearing their debut album (about 7-8 years after it came out) ... best song title: "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" ... the collection contains the single version of The Jam's The Modern World, hence you hear Paul Weller spit out "I don't give a damn about your review," rather than "I don't give two fucks about your review" ... best group name: Richard Hell and the Voidoids...

Quote of the Day:

I began another boys' book -- more to be at work than anything else. I have written 400 pages on it -- therefore it is very nearly half done. It is Huck Finn's Autobiography. I like it only tolerably well, as far as I have got, and may possibly pigeonhole or burn the MS when it is done.

--- Samuel L. Clemens to William Dean Howells, August 9, 1876.


::: posted by tom at 11:25 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger