Stumpage Reports



Thursday, December 11, 2003 :::
 
History Nerd Links

Alice Williamson Diary, 1863. Diary of a young girl in a Tennessee town occupied by Federal troops. She is rather resentful about the presence of the Yankees. "they have neither burned any houses or killed anybody in three whole days. What is going to happen? surely the rebels are coming once again to this God-forsaken village. "

Arctic Blue Books Online. A searchable electronic version of "Andrew Taylor's unique index to the 19th Century British Parliamentary Papers concerned with the Canadian Arctic." I just love people who have the time and motivation to do something like this. (I mean people who digitize things like this, not kill indians.) "The indian who was killed they left behind; he was pitched down upon the river, and afterwards eaten by the dogs."

Samuel J. May Anti-Slavery Collection. Cornell University makes available over 10,000 pamphlets, leaflets, broadsides, newsletters of local and regional anti-slavery societies, sermons, essays, and arguments for and against slavery. "...but the disposition of the crowd seemed to be to shoot colored children and to maltreat or to kill any colored person who came along. They drove the colored men out of their shanties, and if they started to run would shoot them down indiscriminately."

Selected civil War Photographs from the Library of Congress. No elaboration needed.

A Sketch of the Battle of Franklin, Tenn.: With Reminiscences of Camp Douglas. One of my favorite Civil War battles. I love the sense of understatement these guys would use: "...but each time I obtained a glimpse of any of them, and before I could shoot, a cannon would run out and fire, forcing me to take refuge away from it. After getting my face blistered and eyebrows burned off, I abandoned that dangerous place by getting back away from the blaze of these guns."


Newest Downtown Discovery

I've been very good about packing a lunch every day to take to work. I treat myself to lunch out once a week. My newest favorite place is the cafeteria hidden in the bowels of the Legislative Building. It specializes in overcooked, southern cafeteria food. Today I had beef tips over rice w/gravy, green beans, a roll, and sweet tea for $6.10. The elevators in the building have red carpeting and bright brass fixtures, they look like they belong in a pimp's apartment. The lobby is filled with ashtrays, unusual for a public building even here in N.C. Guess they gotta keep the tobacco lobbyists happy when they're in the lobby.


::: posted by tom at 12:57 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger