Stumpage Reports



Friday, December 12, 2003 :::
 
Civil War Schmivil War

Its been all Civil War, all the time, the last day and a half at work. Looking up Confederate Pension Records and Troop Rosters for people. I haven't even found any interesting maimings, woundings, or anecdotes. Usually looking at 20-25 of these things is good for something. I was able to get one small, perverse thrill though. People often either send us not enough information or way too much. One patron enclosed a letter with quite a long narrative about this guy's service, culminating in his death at the Battle of Stones River in 1863. Sorry buddy, no pension record for your soldier, and the troop roster says "Reported absent without leave February 16, 1864. Listed as deserter on April 7, 1864. Dropped from the company rolls on or about April 30, 1864." Ha ha (in a Nelson Muntz tone).

I was justed handed an assignment to look through a collection of papers for a statement about the last hours before Fort Fisher fell to the Yankees. And you want to pay me to do this?

Can't Get That Damn Song Out Of My Head Section:

Yesterday my boss kept singing the song "Santa Baby." This morning I was greeted with this.


::: posted by tom at 10:50 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger