Stumpage Reports



Friday, December 19, 2003 :::
 
Book Report

I'm happy to say I finished Empire Falls by Richard Russo. It felt good to read a novel that wasn't written by Stephen King, as much as I like him. It was kind of strange, I was reading the book and enjoying the prose, sense of humor, and how the characters' pasts seemed to become effortlessly interwoven by the author through flashbacks and dialogue. At one point, probably about 200 pages in, I thought "It will be nice when something actually happens." Then about 400 pages into it, I thought "This is so good I don't give a damn if nothing happens." Then when things finally started happening, I thought they seemed a little dramatic and contrived. It was a hell of a satisfying read, one of the best novels I've read in awhile. The English Major in me speaks: what the book is really about are the decisions people make when they are younger, why they made those decisions, and the consequences of them.

Movie Report

I saw The Return of the King last night. Just like the other episodes, the battle scenes were wonderful and the movie ground to a halt whenever Liv Tyler showed up. I gave up counting when we agreed on the sixth time the movie could have ended. [Spoiler coming] I mean, if they didn't film the Scouring of the Shire (one of my favorite parts of the book), why didn't they cut some of that other crap out at the end?

I think the canyon Aragon, the elf, and the dwarf went through to go get the dead warriors was the same canyon they brought the Sumatran Rat Monkey out through in Peter Jackson's movie Dead Alive.

Looking forward to the DVD.


::: posted by tom at 11:19 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger