Stumpage Reports



Monday, November 17, 2003 :::
 
Lunch With the Presidents

When the weather's nice, I've taken to eating my lunch on a bench next to the statue of the three U.S. Presidents born in North Carolina. I'd rather eat next to the Confederate Memorial but there are no benches there.

There are often large packs of schoolkids downtown with flustered chaperones leading them around to the different attractions in the City of Oaks. The first time I sat on the bench I saw a pack of kids coming my way and thought "J.F., I hope they don't come over here." They didn't come that day, but they did the next. I've since begun to enjoy the groups of kids and their reactions to the statue.

I don't know what age these kids are, I'd guess about fourth or fifth grade. The first day, I tried to pick out who I thought were the cool kids or the in crowd. I realized the kids were at this great age where they all seem equally geeky, although I'm sure they have their little cabals and pecking order.

The statue is on big-ass plinth with a sign that clearly says "No Climbing on the Statue." The kids gather around to have their pictures taken and I can see the suppressed energy, as they kind of bob and claw at the statue, just itching to climb into James K. Polk's lap. Teachers and parents have the kids say things like "cheese doodles," "spaghetti," and "pickled peas" instead of the old standby "cheese" when they take the picture. One day two little girls, the little blond seemed to be the leader, crouched down in front of a little cannon so someone could take their picture. They had their arms around each other and just beamed, I could tell they thought they would be friends forever. I remember when I dreamed their kind of dreams until my innocence was shattered forever at the Alibi Bar in Big Rapids, Michigan.

There's usually one little boy off to the side by himself, thinking. Thats the kid I relate to.

With the weather getting colder, I won't be eating outside much, and the kids won't dally around the statue, but their be a whole new crew next year.


::: posted by tom at 10:24 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger