Stumpage Reports



Wednesday, November 05, 2003 :::
 
The End

No, its not the end of this blog. But God knows, if I don't think some shit up pretty soon, it will be.

In the meantime, here's a shitload of last lines from some great books and stories:

It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.

--- Herman Melville, Moby Dick, 1851.

He was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance.

--- Mary W. Shelley, Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, 1818.

But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.

--- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, 1884.

Go, my book, and help destroy the world as it is.

--- Russell Banks, Continental Drift, 1985.

"It isn't fair, it isn't right," Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her.

--- Shirley Jackson, "The Lottery", 1948.

I cannot tell you what happened after this, except that knights and ladies, yes, and noble squires, too, were seen weeping there for the deaths of dear friends.

--- The Nibelungenlied, ca. 1200.

Sort of like in those old Hitler movies.

--- Ira Levin, The Boys From Brazil, 1976.

"Tis done," Rush wrote. "We have become a nation."

--- Catherine Drinker Bowen, Miracle at Philadelphia, 1966.


Oxen and wain-ropes would not bring me back again to that accursed island; and the worst dreams that ever I have are when I hear the surf booming about its coasts, or start upright in bed, with the sharp voice of Captain Flint still ringing in my ears: Pieces of eight! pieces of eight!"

--- Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island, 1883.

Working men of all countries, unite!

--- Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto, 1848.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

--- Declaration of Independence, 1776.

But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper.

--- Beatrix Potter, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, 1900.



::: posted by tom at 12:23 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger