Stumpage Reports



Monday, October 06, 2003 :::
 
Pat Conroy is a Damn Genius

One of my current favorite fiction writers is Pat Conroy. I have read two of his books and recently started on a third, The Lords of Discipline. I try to ration his books because there are so few of them and he isn't very prolific.

I normally prefer the stripped-down prose style of Hemingway, but when its done well, I love some metaphor-laden, thick, rich romantic prose. Conroy, along with Hawthorne and Melville is someone who can do that really well. He can load on the metaphors and cram in the all-five-senses-lighting-up descriptions of the South Carolina lowcountry and human emotions until the paragraphs creak and groan like the Pequod straining under the weight of leviathan being prepared for flensing.

Although its not a great example of what I just got done raving about, here is my current favorite line from The Lords of Discipline:

"The adversary who is truly formidable is the one who works within the fortress walls, singing pleasant songs while licking honey off knives."

New Job, Redux:

More money = Cable Modem at Home



::: posted by tom at 1:26 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger