Stumpage Reports



Sunday, October 12, 2003 :::
 
My Last Full Day at Work

Saturday was my last full day at work. Usually Saturday is a 7 hour day, but I worked through lunch so I could leave earlier today. Weekend's are usually really slow and we don't do much work, but last Saturday was probably my all-time record for doing nothing at work. There was nothing for me to do, all my stuff is done. The phone did not ring once, one researcher came in, my co-worker got his stuff and he sat there and looked at it all day.

9:00 - 9:30 AM Log on computer, do some web surfing to catch up on the news, check out other blogs, Yahoo! News, Charlotte Observer and Metafilter.

9:30 AM Co-worker shows up.

9:30 - 9:45 AM Fill out exit interview form (closest thing to real work all day)

9:45 to 10:05 AM Co-worker demonstrates
Homestarrunner.

10:05 to 11:00 AM I play at Homestarrunner. If I listened to my friends, I would have discovered that site weeks ago thanks to Ann.

11:00 to 11:15 AM Outside for a cigarette and across the street to Bruegger's Bagels for two salt bagels smeared with cream cheese and chives (they better serve those in heaven).

11:15 to 11:45 AM Eat, check out the blogs and the news.

11:45 to 12:10 ? ?

12:10 to 1:00 PM Talk to a friend on the phone, he's at work too.

1:00 to 2:00 PM I cover the desk while my co-worker is at lunch, absolutely no work gets done.

2:00 to 4:00 PM I read book reviews in The Journal of Southern History, Civil War History, and The American Historical Review. That's one thing I'll miss about this job, having time to catch up with stuff like that.

Somewhere around this time, my co-worker says "If we didn't need your key to lock up, I'd tell you to go home." I answer, "Even I have a little shame, if I'm getting paid for this, I ought to at least be physically here."

4:00 to 4:45 PM Talk to same friend on phone again, we both surf Ebay and point shit out to each other.

4:45 to 5:00 PM Close up and get the hell out of there.

::: posted by tom at 9:30 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger