Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, October 21, 2003 :::
 
The Haircut

Every Monday is a day off for me with the new job, so I spent the day running around and doing errands: washing sheets and towels for an upcoming influx of guests, working on the railroad, dealing with insurance company, and getting a haircut.

Folks who know me know I don't pay a whole lot of attention to my hair, I keep it clean and most of the time it just sits there until it gets so thick and shaggy I can't stand it, then I get it cut. I usually go to Supercuts or somewhere like that. Today when I was at the laundromat, I noticed an old-timey barber shop next door, it even had a barber pole. The shop was complete with scarred linoleum, old issues of Popular Mechanics and Field & Stream, pictures of WWII planes on the wall, and a machine that sold glass bottles of coke.

I gave the guy my usual spiel when I get my haircut: "Halfway over the ears, trim this much off the back, thin it on the top and sides blah blah." He looked at me, and in a wonderful southern accent said, "I'll just take about half that off and you'll feel a lot better."

Thats exactly what he did. As I was leaving I asked him "How would I look with a flattop? He shook his head, "Naw, it wouldn't stand up, but come back in a month and we'll take even more off."

Freak Show Story of the Day

AN EXTRAORDINARY FREAK OF NATURE! -- WHERE IS BARNUM?

A man by the name of George W. Houston, living a short distance from this place (Sparta,) has a cow which has brought forth a most uncommon calf. The calf is now two weeks old; living and likely to live. It has two distinctly formed mouths, four distinctly formed nostrils, two tongues, and four eyes, and will, I think, have four horns. In all other respects, it is formed as usual, and is a playful and very pretty calf. Some three or four hundred persons have been to look at it, and all consider it a very great curiosity. Such a man as Barnum, could, I have no doubt, make a fortune by exhibiting this calf as a show. Mr. Houston, to whom it belongs, has no turn that way, and would sell it if he could get a fair price. He talks of exhibiting it at Caroline County Court, which takes place on the 2d Monday in June next.

A.S. BROADDUS. Sparta, Caroline, Va., May 3d, 1853.

The North Carolina Whig (Charlotte), June 8, 1853.





::: posted by tom at 12:35 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger