Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, August 12, 2003 :::
 
That computer worm is raising havoc here at work. The IT folks sent out an email telling us how to fix our screwed up computers. That's nice, if I could read the email...

Closed By the Health Department

I know I promised "Closed by the Health Department" as part of my ongoing series about my former job at Kentucky Fried Chicken. After thinking about it last night, I just can't do it. The story is too horrifying and disgusting. The screaming, the guts, the horror, the horror... It had nothing to do with the food or its preparation. Don't worry, you can eat there as safely as you can at any other fast food restaurant.

Coming Soon: "Cyclops on the Rampage: the Insane Daytime Chicken Cook."

Meanwhile, some Quotes of the Day:

The other guy said, "I don't give a good goddamn if he did, the crook. He had it coming to him on the stuff he's pulled."

"I'll say he had," said the other guy, and tore the bunch of tickets in two.

And George Gardner looked at me to see if I'd heard and I had all right and he said, "Don't you listen to what those bums said, Joe. Your old man was one swell guy."

But I don't know. Seems like when they get started the don't leave a guy nothing.

--- Ernest Hemingway, "My Old Man," 1925.

Zelli's was closed, the bleak and sinister cheap hotels surrounding it were dark; up in the Rue Blanche there was more light and a local, colloquial French crowd. The Poet's Cave had disappeared, but the two great mouths of the Cafe of Heaven and the Cafe of Hell still yawned -- even devoured as we watched, the meager contents of a tourist bus -- a German, a Japanese, and an American couple who glanced at him with frightened eyes.

--- F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Babylon Revisited," 1931.







::: posted by tom at 1:28 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger