Stumpage Reports



Saturday, August 23, 2003 :::
 
The Morning After

Anyone who knows me very well, knows I could hand in a solid "A" paper or exam, and then sit there the next day thinking, "That sucked, I'm doomed, I'm gonna flunk out, etc, etc..."

Of course, I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning hashing and rehashing yesterday's job interview, and the more I think about it, the worse it gets. There was one question I know I really screwed up.

Most of the job interviews I have had in the last 10 years where internal ones at the library I used to work at. While I think I did really well on some of them (with 7 years of hindsight, that is), for most of those interviews there was an unspoken undercurrent of "We already know who is getting this job and its not you." Or, in some cases, "Its your turn to get this job unless you really screw this up." With this interview I had no idea about any of this, although I would guess the first choice.

One thing about this interview that came at me out of left field, was they sounded like they expected you to already know how to do the stuff. The first two questions were: "If someone wanted to see if their relative had fought in the American Revolution, what are three sources you would look in?," and, "If someone wanted the original charter for the town of whatever, where would you look?" I actually think I handled those OK. I guess maybe those are the type of questions they ask when the job title has a "2" after it instead of a "1".

I saw a friend of mine last night who asked how the interview went. I answered, "The more I think about it, the worse it gets." He laughed and said, "So don't think about it." Smartass.

I found out from various sources they got 46 applications, human resources sent 20 to the hiring supervisor, and they're interviewing about 14 of those people. So I am happy I made it this far.

Ah well, I did the best I could at the time. I'll probably have more interviews with this agency and the future and I'll feel a lot better prepared now.

Three Albums I'd Want With Me on the Desert Island

Truth, Jeff Beck.

A Hard Day's Night (original british version), The Beatles.

Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan.



::: posted by tom at 12:13 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger