Stumpage Reports



Monday, August 11, 2003 :::
 
Fast Food Horror Part 1: or, The Plague Gods Ride Again

Recently I did posts on The First Job I Ever Had and The Best Job I Ever Had. I'm not sure what the worst job I ever had was, but my stint at Kentucky Fried Chicken is a strong contender.

I was 16 when I worked there, this was the job before the gas station job. In the parlance of the business, I was known as a "chicken cook."

There was nothing inherently wrong with the food, or the way we prepared it. It was just a hot, dirty, and smelly job. My parents made me change out of my work clothes in the garage and the car I was driving at the time reeked of fried chicken. I've since met other people who have worked there and their parents wouldn't let them come in the house either.

I worked there over a year and never once got seriously hurt or sick, which is a miracle. At one time, the two other night cooks came down with salmonella. I'll never know how I avoided that particular malady with all the raw chicken I was slinging around.

Another time one of the other chicken cooks got terribly burned on one arm in an accident involving hot grease and a valve he stupidly left open.

All of this was nothing, in future posts we'll go further into the chicken heart of darkness.

Coming Soon: "Closed by the Health Department" and "Cyclops on the Rampage: the Insane Daytime Chicken Cook."



::: posted by tom at 12:21 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger