Stumpage Reports



Thursday, August 21, 2003 :::
 
Big-Ass Quote of the Day

I've blogged before about how much I enjoy the writing of Robert McCammon. I've recently started rereading his book Boy's Life. I'm just relishing the hell out of it. Sometimes he gets a little carried away with the adjectives and trying for a Ray Bradbury-ish poetic quality, but when I'm in the right mood, I can really sink my teeth into it. Here's a quote from it, the narrator is describing his little southern town and giving you a taste of whats to come in the book:

"We had a dark queen who was one hundred and six years old. We had a gunfighter who saved the live of Wyatt Earp at the O.K. Corral. We had a monster in the river, and a secret in the lake. We had a ghost that haunted the road behind the wheel of a black dragster with flames on the hood. We had a Gabriel and a Lucifer, and a rebel that rose from the dead. We had an alien invader, a boy with a perfect arm, and we had a dinosaur loose on Merchants Street.

It was a magic place."

I said this was Big-Ass Quote of the Day, here's another, the little kid describing his bedroom:

"The shelves go on for miles and miles. My collection of marbles gleams in a mason jar. My dried cicada waits to sing again the summer. My Duncan yo-yo that whistles except the string is broken and Dad's got to fix it. My little book of cloth suit samples I got from Mr. Parlowe at the Stagg Shop For Men. I use those pieces of cloth as carpet inside my airplane models, along with seats cut from cardboard. My silver bullet, forged by the Lone Ranger for a werewolf hunter. My Civil War button that fell from a butternut uniform when the storm swept Shiloh. My rubber knife for stalking killer crocodiles in the bathtub. My Canadian coins, smooth as the northern plains. I am rich beyond measure."

No ideas tonight, as you might guess. Come back soon and I'll be talking about this, or this, or probably this.



::: posted by tom at 9:42 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger