Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, July 15, 2003 :::
 
I've Been Working on the Railroad

I had my interview yesterday and got the temp job working for the railroad company. The archivist there said she knew I had the job as soon as she saw my resume, how come none of the other 12 place I've applied for jobs didn't think that? She has a pretty nice setup over there, I think she needs a full-time assistant.

Art Appreciation 101

I discovered a new genre of paintings while on my trip to upstate New York. The best way I can describe it is "Cheesy Paintings of Bears Trashing Campsites." I wish I could find an example on the web to link to, you'll just have to use your imagination. Most of the paintings are prints from calendars from the 1930's or 40's, and usually feature a bear, sometimes a mother with a couple cubs, tearing up a hunter's campsite and getting at the food. Sometimes, you will see the hunter's approaching in the distance. In the really good ones, one of the bear cubs will be into some hi-jinks, usually with his little paw caught in the tackle box.

I was talking to one of the antique dealers up there, and he said people like to decorate a room in the "adirondack style" (i.e. Adirondack chairs, other stuff made of wood and birch bark) and one of the requirements for an Adirondack room is a tacky old painting of a moose or a bear. Your higher-end Adirondack rooms will have a Cheesy Painting of Bears Trashing A Campsite.

The best one I saw was a huge, old calendar print, with above mentioned bear cub up to no good in the tackle box. But it cost $75 so I didn't get it, and that was actually one of the cheaper ones.



::: posted by tom at 9:15 AM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger