Stumpage Reports



Thursday, July 17, 2003 :::
 
I've Been Working on the Railroad, continued.

Today was my first day on the railroad company job. I had to go to a temp agency and fill out tons of paperwork, and then I went to the railroad company and they fixed me up with a laptop. The lady I'm working for and I then schlepped down the Old Records Center (that's where they keep stuff not interesting enough to be in the State Archives) to take a look at the collection I have to deal with.

It is about fifteen large cardboard cartons filled with paper. Usually, with an archival collection, you have to arrange and describe it. I'm only going to describe this one. It belongs to the State Archives and they don't want me rearranging stuff and the company I'm working for wants to know whats in it, hence the description part.

This is going to be a good gig though. The lady and I were discussing ways we could get more work out of this thing so I'll get more hours. She said usually when they hire someone like me on a temp basis for one project they usually end up finding something else for them to do.

I also got a free book and a keychain with the company's logo on it. They didn't promise me riches like that when I applied at graduate school.



::: posted by tom at 10:30 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger