Stumpage Reports



Sunday, July 20, 2003 :::
 
The Funniest Thing Ever (At That Time)

I moved from Michigan to North Carolina in 1983. In the summer of 1984, I went back to Michigan to visit. I hung out most of the time with my good friend Scott. He worked in a comic book store and I hung out in the store a lot while I was visiting and the owner gave me great discounts for helping out.

The owner was a fun, profane, kinda biker-lookin dude who always made me think of Big Daddy Roth.

One day a whole horde of little kids with ice-cream stormed into the store and immediately started mauling and messing up the new comics. The owner looked at us, winked, then reared up to his full height, and said in a deep bass voice:

"This isn't the pet-me zoo, now get the fuck out of my store!"

The kids turned as one, eyes as big as saucers, and the whole knot of them scampered out of the store like a multi-headed centipide.

We fell on the floor laughing and enjoyed that all week. Scott and I laughed our asses the other night during a phone conversation last week when we recalled it for the first time in many a year.

Quotes of the Day:

I've been slack on the quotes of the day lately because I haven't been blogging at home with my big old book collection. Here's a few to make up for it ---

I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that anymore.

--- Dorothy Parker, Here Lies, 1939.

Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth-decay in His divine system of creation?

--- Joseph Heller, Catch-22, 1961

I don't want loyalty. I want loyalty. I want him to kiss my ass in Macy's window at high noon and tell me it smells like roses. I want his pecker in my pocket.

--- Lyndon Baines Johnson, quote in David Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest, 1972.




::: posted by tom at 5:04 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger