Stumpage Reports



Friday, January 03, 2003 :::
 
The History of the History: or, A Hopping Friday Night With Chavez

Anyone who knows me or reads Stumpage Reports knows I'm fascinated with The Civil War, Confederate Monuments, and Slavery. I'm just as interested in the history of the history of these things. Or maybe a little bit more clearly, how the way people wrote about and understood these subjects changed over the years.

I was in the school library tonight from 5 PM to 10 PM, with a short break for coffee with weird friends, researching the ubiquitous confederate monuments. Besides the staff, I think I was the only person in the library with the exception of a few homeless folks. I've been looking through county histories for information on the monuments. Most of these little books were written between the 1920s and 1950s and were often published privately or by a local historical society. Some of them are a real hoot. I had a great time.

The whole point of the previous two paragraphs: Here's a couple of chapter titles from the above-described books.

"Something About the Colored Folks"

"The Free Negro Problem"

When this type of thinking is presented closer to the present, as opposed to Jefferson's Notes on the State of Virginia, it gets harder and harder to stomach.

A Couple Things to Be Thankful For:

The person behind me at the Burger King drive-thru ordered twelve whoppers.

The new computer game Age of Mythology came out while I don't have to go to class.

Quote of the Day:

We humans live on the edge of the world's largest primal wilderness, the ocean. We venture onto and into it for recreation, relaxation, and exercise, without appreciating the fact that the ocean is the hunting ground for most of the living things on planet Earth.
--- Peter Benchley, Shark Trouble





::: posted by tom at 10:33 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger