Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, January 07, 2003 :::
 
Chapel Hill Redux: or, Sometimes I Wonder If We're Livin' in the Same Land

Today I went to Chapel Hill and picked up about 5 pounds of photocopies of mining company annual reports. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again: something about that place bugs me. Nothing to do with that N.C. State / U.N.C. rivalry crap either. Heck, I'd love to go to school there if I had the time and the money.

There are just so many cutsey stores and restaurants on Franklin Street. I noticed today there is a Gap store there for God's sake. Now I know where all those people I see walking around get their sweaters and scarves. There are no J. Crew or Abercrombie and Fitch stores, obviously the denizens of that campus can get to there though.

Hillsborough Street, the main drag at N.C. State, has a couple of decrepit stop and robs, a bowling alley, two used book stores, and a couple pizza places and sub shops. I feel a lot more comfortable there.

Quote of the Day:

"America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else; when discovered it was not wanted; and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it."

--- Samuel Eliot Morison, The Oxford History of the American People






::: posted by tom at 10:08 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger