Stumpage Reports



Saturday, December 21, 2002 :::
 
Party, Party: or, The Hinterland, The Hinterland

Two days in the Queen City, two Christmas parties, which is two more parties than I've been to in a long time.

I hit the ground running when I got to The Person I Can't Think of Nickname For's condo about two hours before the party. I had been warned. I was handed a vaccum cleaner, a roll of paper towels and a bottle of 409. I can craft a footnote that cites a reprint of a multi-volume source with mulitple editors and two different places of publication, but that does not mean a damn thing when you are trying to hang curtains. The party was fine, kind of small and I got to see a bunch of folks I see about once a year, at this Christmas party. Several helpings of pumpkin soup, honey-baked ham, and cold bean salad later I was one happy refugee.

The party the next night was a big-ass potluck with tons of people and church lady food. I was able to say hello to whole swath of people I don't see very often any more. After that eggnog lattes, and a long cruise with Can't Think of a Nickname Lady looking at Christmas lights accompanied by The Ventures Christmas Album. That album has been my favorite Christmas album for several years. Before the internet it was pretty hard to find. Anyone that can combine "I Feel Fine" with "Rudolph," and morph the opening riff of "Wooly Bully" into "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" comes close to musical genius in my book.

Top it all off with saturday morning bagels and lox with Koko the Jewish Librarian and its a near perfect couple of days. I did not look at a television, see a newspaper or sit in front of a computer for two days. I was a little (hah) stressed out about the trip beforehand, but it ended up being the two of the most relaxing days I've had since last semester started.

I got my grades and did quite well, thank you.


Quote of the Day:

I can't come up with anything, fuck it, here's an old standard:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -- Thomas Jefferson




::: posted by tom at 10:47 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger