Stumpage Reports



Tuesday, December 17, 2002 :::
 
Out Of The Cave and Over to Chapel Hill: or, Chavez Stirs

As my four regular readers have figured out, my life consists of school, work, and coffee with weird friends. So today was a little of an adventure, I drove over to Chapel Hill. For some reason, that place gives me the creeps. I always have trouble parking. I can park with aplomb in downtown Charlotte, Raleigh, and around NCSU, but whenever I got to Chapel Hill I always end up in the same overpriced municipal parking lot.

I made the drive OK, usual madness on I-40. I had planned ahead, found a visitors parking lot right across from where I wanted to go. But of course, that lot was temporarily permit only because of construction. I finally reached my destinations: Wilson Library and Davis Library. Most other people I go to school with have been to both places and seem to know all about them, but it was my first trip. At Davis Library I had to photocopy something real quick from The Bulletin of the Missouri Historical Society, a journal sadly lacking at the NCSU library. Then over to Wilson Library and the storied Southern Historical Collection. I was pretty frustrated by the time I got there due to the parking and the lack of photocopy facilities at Davis Library for those of us lacking a UNC copycard. I had checked out their rules and regs on the internet before going, and they looked a little picky so I was loaded for bear as I walked in the building. I was pleasantly surprised, they were not nearly as arrogant as their website suggested. I only have experience at two other archives, these folks struck a nice balance though, they made you fill out enough forms to make you feel like you were doing something special but not so many it made it more trouble than its worth.

So I spent a happy three hours reading annual reports of the Tungsten Mining Corporation and the monthly report for their chemical plant. More easy money for me. It was a pleasant experience, a great old domed Carnegie library-type building, marble floors, wood tables and only me. Now that I know where the place is, I look forward to going there after Christmas and reading little old ladies' mail from the 1910's about unveiling Confederate Monuments. That is gonna be fun.

I have to say, the students over at Chapel Hill dress a lot better than the State students.


Quote of the Day:

"Dreams age faster than dreamers, that is a fact of life. Yet the last ones often die surprisingly hard, screaming in low, miserable voices at the back of the brain." -- Stephen King, Dreamcatcher.






::: posted by tom at 11:06 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger