Stumpage Reports



Wednesday, December 04, 2002 :::
 
The Man in Black is Following Me


Its been a Johnny Cash couple of weeks. About two weeks ago I popped the CD Murder from the God, Love, and Murder Johnny Cash retrospective in my CD player in my car and listened to that for a few days. Then I saw an ad for a Johnny Cash interview on the Larry King show and watched that. Then Billy mentioned Cash on his website. Big Ed did a Johnny Cash blog entry. The day before yesterday my mother called and said, "We got a bunch of Johnny Cash CD's in the mail at our house, did you order them?" I didn't, it was probably my brother, hopefully he was in the role of Santa Claus when he ordered them. To wrap it up, a couple quotes from the Larry King interview:

KING: Why do we like it (country music)?

CASH: Well, I don't know why we like some of it.

and...

KING: Do you have a favorite?

CASH: I do, I have a favorite. My favorite female artist is Emmylou Harris.


Neatest Thing I've Seen on TV in Awhile and I Wished I Had a Videotape Ready:

While flipping through the Comedy Channel at 2 AM one morning, I caught an old episode of Fernwood Tonight. Martin Mull and Fred Willard were interviewing Tom Waits. Waits looked a lot younger and was smoking and drinking from what looked like a bottle of scotch. He bummed $20 off of Fred Willard.

Johnny Cash and Tom Waits, think of the duet possibilities. I just typed "Johnny Cash and Tom Waits" into Google in case anybody tells me, "Hey, you moron, don't you know about their famous duet, blah blah..." I didn't find any evidence of a duet, but lots of quotes of people trying to describe vocal styles by using these two geniuses as barometers:

His vocals smack of Johnny Cash and Tom Waits.

...sounds like a cross between 'The End' by the Doors and a gothic Beach Boys fronted by a drunken hybrid of Johnny Cash and Tom Waits.

...but a closer listen also reveals echoes of Johnny Cash and Tom Waits.

The eerie opening cut, is what a collaboration of Johnny Cash and Tom Waits might sound like.

Like Johnny Cash and Tom Waits, he approaches religious themes not from moralizing stances of good and evil...

Imagine Johnny Cash and Tom Waits had a child together, and that child grew up listening to The Stooges and Joy Division.

Few can do stark, melancholic, wrenched-from-the-gut, sad songs from the heartland, and their names are Johnny Cash and Tom Waits.


This entry ended up being a lot longer than I planned, I didn't even try and seach "Tom Waits and Johnny Cash."










::: posted by tom at 6:13 PM









I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through...

_______________
_______________
_______________



Powered by Blogger